( 中文版請向下滑觀看 )
Call for submissions from erhu players and instrumentalists
Deadline for submissions: January 15, 2021 at 11:59 PM (MST)
Chinese New Year is typically a time to get together. However, this is not a typical year, so for celebrating Chinese New Year in 2021, Calgary Chinese Orchestra is organizing a community event to virtually bring people together. The orchestra is calling for submissions inviting musicians of all ages, levels and backgrounds to submit video of their own rendition of the classic erhu song, Horse Race, to be part of a short film. The film will be made by the award-winning filmmaker Vicki Van Chau and will be released during the Chinese New Year.
Despite the fact that it is an erhu piece, the call is open to ALL instrumentalists and not limited to erhu players. Participants will have an opportunity to show off their talent, be part of an artwork, and make new connections. Participants will also be invited to the film premiere event during the Chinese New Year. More details to come.
- Repertoire: Horse Race, by Huang Hai-Huai
- Sheet Music: simplified notation; standard notation
- Recording Guide Track: Please play along with this provided guide track in headphones for recording
- Tempo: 132 bpm
- Tuning: A=440 hz
- Please record one instrument at a time per video. If you wish to play a second instrument, just send another video!
Please choose one from the 3 options to record and submit:
1. Play the entire piece
2. Play parts of the piece
3. Play your own “variations” of the song, but it must follow the tempo and the tuning.
When making the video, first record yourself announcing the following before you start playing:
- Your name
- Where are you from
- The name of your instrument
When recording video of yourself performing the song:
- You can use your phone, camera, or tablet
- Shoot your video horizontally, NOT vertically
- Make sure to record at minimum 1080p quality
Optional Audio Specifications
If you also have access to recording equipment, please use it to record the audio of your performance:
- 24-bit WAV or AIFF format
- 44.1 KHz
How to Submit
Please fill out the form, attach your video (and audio) file, and submit online: https://forms.gle/dDhJCDZmjH2rMijbA
- We will start working on editing the film after January 15, 2021. Our production team will not be able to use every bit of audio and footage that we receive for the film, but will use some material from every submission.
- The film will be released during the Chinese New Year in February 2021.
- All participants will be invited to attend the online premiere event.
Please email email@example.com with any questions!
About the Artist
VICKI VAN CHAU is an award-winning filmmaker and artist based in Calgary. She has produced and directed several short films that have screened across Canada and internationally.
As a Chinese-Vietnamese Canadian, she has been guided by the teachings and traditions that have been passed down through her family, which has been the foundation of her identity and work. Her family and cultural identity has been a core inspiration in her artistic practice and helps her to promote the appreciation of both Chinese and Vietnamese culture through a uniquely Canadian perspective, focussing on the intricate visuals and sounds of each aspect she explores.
JIAJIA LI became the artistic director of Calgary Chinese Orchestra in 2020 and was the co-director since 2018. Classically-trained flutist Jiajia Li is being praised as “one of the city’s finest and most adventurous flautists”. She was the 2019 recipient of the classical music residency at National Music Centre, and 2016 recipient of Canada’s “Juno” music award micro grant. Since her arrival in Calgary in 2014, Jiajia has forged her identity through music and performance, cutting across a wide range of modern musical experimentations and traditions. Currently a faculty member at the Mount Royal University Conservatory, Jiajia is an active performer and has appeared in festivals including Sled Island, Calgary New Music Festival, and The Works.
徵件截止日: 2021年1月15日 11點59分（山區時間）
疫情期間，春節將至。卡城中樂團攜同獲獎電影大導演Vicki Van Chau製作一輯春節音樂電影特輯，預在2021年農曆新年期間向網上播出。卡城中樂團希望籍此音樂活動能為旅居海外華人在春節期間增添溫馨、熱鬧的氣氛。現誠邀二胡經典《賽馬》音樂錄像作品，以便製作春節特輯。錄像內容不限於二胡演奏，歡迎所有樂器參與。參與者不限年齡、級別和背景；通過這次音樂活動，表演者有機會展示您的才華，廣結知音；並獲邀上春節特輯網上首映慶典。歡迎所有音樂家和音樂愛好者一起參與。
錄音 Guide Track: 錄音時，請使用耳機播放 guide track 並一同演奏，保證速度一致
速度: 132 bpm
調音: A= 440 hz
3. 演奏自己的變奏或即興，但要求音准和速度與guide track一致
- 24-bit WAV or AIFF format
- 44.1 KHz